WEBSITE AND CONTENT Q&A
Welcome to the Medtronic Academy Help Page
The information on this page is designed to provide helpful tips for accessing online courses, downloading content, working with PowerPoint versions, and much more. We are continually improving the site based upon your comments and feedback. Click below to view some of the commonly asked questions and answers. If you have questions regarding managing your account (password, email address, etc.) please view the Additional Help section below.
Click here for support related to Training Information and Navigation
What are the System Requirements?
- Latest version of the following browsers: Chrome, Safari, FireFox or Internet Explorer.
- Adobe Flash Player Plugin
- A broadband internet connection
- Using the most up-to-date versions of your browsers, applications and plugins will help ensure everything within our site works smoothly and as expected.
- Suggested: Apple QuickTime apple.com/quicktime/download.
- Recommended bandwidth: 2 Mbps or higher
- Recommendations for Mobile: Android 2.0+ or iOS 3.2+ and default Android browser or Mobile Safari
What are the Supported Browsers?
- The following browsers are supported, click to download: Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer and Firefox.
- Older versions of these browsers may not support all features on our sites. If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or earlier, Safari 4, or earlier or earlier versions of Firefox, consider upgrading your browser to the latest version.
- When using Internet Explorer in some cases, you may need to disable Compatibility view. You can access this by going to Tools > Compatibility view or by locating and clicking on the compatibility icon, which will look like this:
- Use the latest version of your web browser to help ensure proper operation.
- If you encounter issues within our site it is generally helpful to try to clear your browser’s cache by holding down the shift button and reloading the page. In Google Chrome you can hit F5.
Issues with Login and Registration
If you are unsure how to register, log in, or reset your password on Medtronic Academy, please refer to the following videos.
Site Navigation and Features
To learn more about site navigation and using the features on Medtronic Academy, please refer to the following videos.
Have issues accessing a course?
Click here to view troubleshooting information. Some courses are not optimal for mobile use, so they may need to be completed using a computer. If a course you have taken is still not showing as complete, please send us an e-mail with the name of the course and date you completed it.
Have issues with audio in a course?
- First, ensure your audio and speakers are working using other applications (YouTube, Pandora, or other Websites that have audio/video).
- If there is no audio with any application, it is most likely an issue outside of our website.
- If audio is present using other applications, but not when with a course from our website, ensure that the volume in the course is turned up using the navigation buttons in the course, as seen in the images below.
*Please note that some courses my not include audio.
What are some popular video players?
Click the links below to install a video player.
How can I improve playback or performance?
Here are a few tips:
- Many issues with video playback can be solved by closing all other browser tabs and windows and/ or clearing your web browser’s cache and cookies by holding down the shift button and reloading the page. In Google Chrome you can hit F5.
- For intermittent or choppy playback, pause the video and allow it to buffer for a few minutes before resuming, or consider switching to another browser.
- For wireless connectivity to the internet, verify the connection is stable. If your connection is poor, consider obtaining a better connection or establish a wired connection. To check internet connectivity, try SpeakEasy speed test.
- Ensure the latest version of Flash is installed and running on your computer, or use an HTML5 browser.
- View the FAQs for video playback with Vimeo.
How do I download videos?
- Not all videos in the Medtronic Academy are available for download.
- To download a video look for the download icon and click.
- Provide a destination when prompted.
Related Content Downloads
- If a video is listed within a page’s “Related Content” look for the quick download icon to immediately initiate a file download.
Why are there different video formats?
Medtronic Academy strives to offer different video formats to meet your unique needs. Two file types are provided: WMV and MP4. MP4 is a format that is widely supported across devices and applications. However, in some cases WMV offers better reliability, size or compatibility (e.g. embedding video within Microsoft PPT).
The following programs open MP4 files:
- Apple QuickTime Player
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- VideoLAN VLC media player
- ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre
The following programs open WMV files:
- Microsoft Windows Video
- CyberLink PowerDirector 12 Ultra
- iOrgsoft Video Editor
- Apple QuickTime Player with Flip4Mac WMV Components
- Videos in the video library are generally downloaded in MP4 format but are also made available in WMV to support use in PPT.
- For PPT files, Medtronic Academy generally offers WMV files to help ensure compatibility.
There are two ways to utilize video within Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT): embedding or linked.
- Embedding is only supported by the latest versions of PPT (2010 and newer).
- Linked videos are supported in all versions of PPT and have the advantage of keeping PPT file size minimized. In an effort to support the majority of our users Medtronic Academy utilizes linked videos for its PPTs. As a result, when you download a PPT that contains videos it will be important to download the PPT as well as all associated videos into a single folder.
To ensure videos play as expected within a PPT presentation store the PPT file with the associated videos together in the same folder.
*For questions regarding embedding a video into PowerPoint, please view the next section “Help with PowerPoints”.
What is the difference between a PPTX file and a PPT file?
- The "X" in the "PPTX" file extension stands for XML, referring to the MS Office Open XML format. PPTX is the standard format used in Office 2007 for Windows and Office 2008 for Mac and is not compatible with earlier versions of Office. The advantages are smaller file sizes and more reliable data storage. PPTX files can still be saved in the PPT format but for earlier versions some features in the file may not be available.
- To save a PPTX to a PPT file, go to PowerPoint - Preferences - Save, and change the default file format for saving PowerPoint files to PPT.
Why are videos provided and how do I embed them into a presentation?
Videos on this site can be viewed, downloaded, or embedded into a presentation for teaching purposes. Two file formats are provided: WMV and MP4
- The MP4 video file is supported by almost all iOS, players & mobile devices, and can be used for sharing online.
- The WMV video file is designed for Microsoft users, has a smaller file size, and is compatible with any Windows PC, however, it requires a plugin to play on a Mac.
To embed a video file into a PowerPoint presentation:
- In Normal view, click the slide in which you want to embed a video
- On the Insert tab, in the Media group, click the arrow under Video, and then click Video from file
- In the Insert Video dialog box, locate and click the video that you want to embed, and then click Insert
To embed a video file into a PDF:
- Click on the "Tools" menu in Adobe Acrobat X and select "Advanced Editing"
- Select "Movie Tool" and use the cursor to draw a box on the screen for the approximate location of the video
- Once the box is made, a pop-up window will appear with options
- Click on the "Browse" icon and select the video file
- Click on the "Embed Content in Document" box
- Note that a video embedded in a PDF may not play on an iPad or iPhone
How do I download the iOS webclip?
- First, ensure that you are accessing Medtronic Academy and viewing the Apps page with your iPhone or iPad using Safari browser, the preferred browser for Apple products.
- Next, click on the desired App image to place the webclip App on your iPhone or iPad for quick access and ease of use.
- Please note that you must be connected to the internet for the webclip(s) to function.
Why can’t I find a webclip for my android or windows phone?
- Due to android device security restrictions, the webclips are currently only available for download to Apple products (iPhone or iPad using Safari browser).
I need help getting Apps from iTunes or the App Store advertised on this site.
- Review the App page to determine which App is available through iTunes or the App Store in your geography.
- Please see the desired App page for specific device and/or iOS operating system requirements.
- Click the “Download on the App Store” button. This will direct you to the App Store or iTunes, where you can follow the instructions to download or purchase the App.
- Please note that the Medtronic Academy and Medtronic Features webclips are not available on iTunes or the App Store.
Questions on Contact Hours? (US Only)
Medtronic partners with two accredited organizations to provide contact hours for registered US nurses for our in-person programs and online courses hosted on this website. Medtronic does not provide CME credits for US physicians in accordance with The Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) regulations. For US customers, click here for more information.
What courses provide contact hours?
Medtronic is a provider of contact hours through California Board of Registered Nursing (CA BRN) for select courses hosted on this site. CA BRN contact hours meets the standards for most states that require mandatory CE credit for re-licensure. Many state boards of nursing and other certification organizations recognize CA BRN contact hours as meeting CE requirements. We recommend consulting with your state board or credentialing organization before submitting any learning activities identified as having contact hours through CA BRN.
What if my course isn’t showing complete?
In order for a course to be marked complete, all content presented in the courses must be reviewed and if applicable, all knowledge check questions must be answered. The webpage may need to be refreshed after you’ve exited a course for the status of the course to be updated. Also, some courses are not optimal for mobile use, so they may need to be completed using a computer.
If a course you have taken is still not showing as complete, please send us an e-mail with the name of the course and date you completed it.
Still having issues with something on this site?
Click on the Contact Us link and provide the following information to help us troubleshoot:
- What type of device are you accessing the website from (iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows laptop, MAC, etc)?
- What operating system is on your device -Windows or iOS (Apple)?
- What browser are you accessing the website from? Include the browser and version. (ex. IE8, Chrome 37)
- What country are you located? Are you on a personal computer or a computer in a hospital institution that might be behind a firewall?
- Provide a screen capture or detailed description of the steps you are taking. Providing both a screen capture and the url of the screen you are seeing will decrease the time it takes us to troubleshoot the issue.